Thursday, July 22, 2010
10:23 PM | Posted by Admin | Edit Post
The obviously prestigious event takes place annually in Norfolk and sees more than 200 of the world's speediest snails compete in the races which each start with a ref saying: "Ready, steady, SLOW!"
The racers are started at the centre of a circular table and sprint to the circular finish line 13 inches away. After a series of round the winner scoops a silver tankard filled with lettuce.
This year the honour went to Sidney the snail (and 62-year-old owner Claire Lawrence) took the title in a leisurely 3m 41s… that's longer than the 1500m race at the Olympics.
The race begins. Photo: © Tony Scase News Service Ltd
Event organiser, Hilary Scase, said: "Snails like damp conditions and as Congham is surrounded by ponds and is very low lying it is just right for snails. Congham is to snail racing what Newmarket is to horse racing.”
Crowds watched the final Sidney the snail celebrates with lettuce. Photo: © Tony Scase News Service Ltd
Sidney the snail with owner/trainer Claire Lawrence. Photo: © Tony Scase News Service Ltd
- Advertisements (2)
- Amazing (21)
- Animals (2)
- Arts (16)
- AutoMobiles (6)
- Buildings and Architecture (6)
- Celebrity (8)
- Cool (5)
- Cool Stuff (16)
- Creative (32)
- Cultural (1)
- Educational (5)
- Funny Pictures (13)
- Funny Stuffs (4)
- Funny Videos (2)
- Games (1)
- Health (2)
- Hi-Tech (5)
- How Tos (4)
- Illusions (2)
- Infographics (7)
- Inspirational (9)
- Interesting and Useful Tips (6)
- Interesting Facts (8)
- Interesting Stuffs (16)
- Interesting Tips (1)
- Links (1)
- Motivational (6)
- Nature (3)
- Photography (8)
- Science (3)
- Sports (2)
- Travel (6)
- Unique (17)
- Unseen Worlds (1)
- Unusual Stuffs (7)
- Videos (5)
- Weird Stuff (2)
- World Records (5)
- Celebrities Caught Yawning on the Spot (27 Picture...
- World Snail Racing Championships ( Ready.. Steady....
- How to Keep Cat From Scratching Your Home Furnitur...
- 15 things You Didn’t Know About the Brain
- Evolution of Steve Jobs' Fashion
- Did You Do This as a Kid?
- Anti-Gravity Dog (Cool Picture)
- Teachers in 1960 vs 2010 (Humor In Picture)
- Celebrities Caught Eating in Public
- Steve Jobs Tells Bill Gates He’s Being Sued (Humor...
- 10 Buildings That Seemingly Could Collapse In A Se...
- From The Cute Little Hermione Granger To The Gorge...
- Powerful Method How To Save a Wet Cell Phone
- Interesting Messages Behind Different Colors of Ro...
- ▼ July (14)